My first post for 2012...Thought will start it with something healthy...:)...
Vazhapoo/Vazha thatta-1 no
Bengal gram/Urud dal-1 tsp
Dry red chilli-2 no
Salt to taste
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Curry leaves-4 to 5 leaves
Coconut oil/veg oil-1 to 2 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Take the vazhapoo and remove the first 3 to 4 layers if it is dark colored.
2. Check the flowers inside these layers, if they have dark stamens remove it.If the flower is fresh use them.
3. Now cut the flower to small pieces and was it in water which has a pinch of turmeric and salt in it.
4. Drain and keep aside.
5. Heat a wok with oil and sputter mustard. Then add dry chilli and bengal gram and wait till it turns golden. Add the curry leaves and the cut flower along with turmeric powder and salt.
6. Close the lid and cook on low.Once done,add the grated coconut and mix well.Take from heat.Serve as side for rice.
1. When the flower is kept long after cutting it turns black.
2. Cook without adding water, If its sticks at the bottom of wok just add about 2 tbsp water max.
3. The layers that are dark and thick should be removed before cooking, else they sometimes give bitter taste.
4. You can use 1/4 piece of a onion and fry it before adding the flower, then continue cooking the same way.
5. Adding coconut can be made optional.
Sending this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Kaveri of Palakad Chamayal