Raw Rice Flour-1 cup(I used pathiri powder)
Urad flour-1/4 cup
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Warm water as needed
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
To make rice flour:
Raw Rice-1 cup
1. Wash and soak rice in water for 1 to 2 hours.Then drain the water and spread the rice on a clean water absorbing towel.Let the water evaporate and when rice is little moist(not completely dry) grind it to fine powder. Sieve the powder and any big grains should be powdered again.
2. Now heat a pan and add the powdered rice into it. Stir continuously till nice aroma comes from rice. Do not burn it or let it turn light brown.
Or you can also fry the rice before powdering once it is dry if u fear burning the powders.
3. Store in air tight jars once cooled.
To make Urad dal powder:
Urad dal-1 cup
1. Roast the dal in pan till it turns light brown with a nice aroma.
2. Now grind this to fine powder. Sieve and set aside.
3. Once cooled store in air tight jars.
To make murukku:
1. Take rice flour,urad dal,salt,cumin, hing and butter and mix well.
2. Now add warm water to this and knead to soft, not sticky dough like chapathi dough.
3. Take a murukku press, use the star shaped template and drop some dough to it. Squeeze it to form spiral shape on a parchment paper.
4. Heat oil in a pan and when it is medium hot take the murukku softly by lifting the side of parchment paper and drop to hot oil.
5. Fry till it turns light brown.Drain and set aside.
6. Store in air tight jars once at room temperature. Stays well for 3 weeks.
1. I have used pathiri flour which is roasted rice flour.
2. You can add chili powder to the dough, about 1/4 tsp
3. You can squeeze it on the ladle that you are using to fry which helps you to drop the murukku without breaking and burning your hand.
4. The oil should be medium hot to fry the murukku till crispy.