For Tazgzhong(Flour-Water Roux):
All purpose flour-1/3 cup
All purpose flour-21/2 cups
Powdered milk-2 tbsp
Instant dried yeast-2 tsp
Milk-1/2 cup+1/4 cup(extra if needed)
Cream-1/8 cup(25% fat)
Tangzhong-1/3 cup(use half tangzhong from above)
Unsalted Butter-25 gm(cut to small pieces, softened at room temp)
1. Whisk he flour, water and milk in a saucepan until smooth and there are no lumps.
2. Place saucepan over medium heat, let the roux cook till it starts thickening.
3. Keep stirring constantly so no lumps form and the roux is smooth.
4. Cook the roux till it reaches 150F(65C) or until you see lines forming in roux as you stir/whisk.Take pan off the heat at this point.
5. Let it cool completely before using it for baking.
To make bread:
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix together, make a well in center and set aside.
2. whisk cream, milk, tangzhong together and add this into the dry ingredients. Knead until everything comes together and you get a dough shape and gluten has developed. Then knead the butter.
3. Knead the dough into a ball shape and keep it in a greased bowl covered with a kitchen towel to proof till its doubled in size, about 45 minutes or more depending on the weather.
4. Transfer it to a clean surface to shape it.This recipe makes one loaf(9"X 5"), 2 small loaves(6"X4"), or 1 small 6"X4" loaf and 6 small rolls, or can shape it to rolls or different shapes.. Deflate and divide the dough .Preheat the oven to 325F.
I made a tortoise,2 flowers and six small rolls.
To make tortoise:
5. To start with tortoise first take ball of dough and shape it into a smooth ball.Shape a head and four limbs from smaller pieces of dough.
6. To make shell take a small piece of dough make a thin round(1/8" thick) and mark with a knife.
7. The marks should be deep but don't cut through. Wet the under side of dough with milk or water and stick it on back of your tortoise.
To make flower:
8. Take two small rolls of equal size. Stretch them to sticks about 3/4 to 1 inch thickness.
9. Take two sticks and make spirals with them. Pinch the ends after making a small round.
10. Now take a small ball that fits in center of round and brush it with little milk on the sides and place it in the center.
To make rolls:
11. Take a small ball and roll it to a small oval shape using a rolling pin. Fold the smaller side into center and then the other side slightly over the earlier one.
12. Now roll the unfolded edges again to form a small rectangle and then make it to a roll and pinch the edges to seal well. Keep the roll in the muffin pan and continue with the other dough ball.
Notes: You can stuff the rolls with sweet or savory fillings.
13. Set it aside covered with a kitchen towel to proof for 45 minutes or till it reaches to 3/4th of the tin.
14. Apply a layer of egg wash to the dough and bake it in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. To check doneness tap the bread and you should hear a hollow sound.
15. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy soft freshly baked bread. You can keep it in airtight box for later use. This stays fresh even the next day.