Rice flour-1 cup(puttu podi)
Water-1/2 cup approx(use more or less accordingly)
Salt to taste
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Method Of Preparation:
1.Mix the rice powder, salt in a big vessel.Add water little by little and mix together.The mixture should be moist still crumbly.Keep aside for about 10 mins.To check if the water is enough,make the mixture to a ball, then it should be able to hold that shape and when you break it should be crumble again.
There should not be any lumps in the mixture, if there, either break small lumps with hand or just pulse it in a mixer(which I have never done).
2. Now to make puttu you need a puttu kutti/kudam(Puttu maker).There are two forms of these,one only the kutti and another with a kudam.The earlier one is attached to the pressure cooker.
The kudam/pressure cooker is first filled with water to half. allow the water to boil. Then the kutti is filled and kept on that through which the steam passes which cooks the puttu.
Now the puttu kutti/vessel has a perforated plate which is first inserted,
3. To fill puttu in kutti, layer the puttu kutti/mould first with 2 tbsp of coconut.Then put about 4 tbsp of rice mixture ,continue this by alternating coconut and rice mixture with coconut on top and close the lid.
4. Steam this by placing on puttu kudam or pressure cooker for about 7 to 8 mins.You can see high steam coming out of the puttu lid after 2 to 3 mins.
5. Then remove the puttu from the puttu kutti and serve warm with stew/kadala curry.
To make rice flour for puttu at home follow these steps:
Raw Rice-1 cup
1. Wash and soak the rice in water for min 3 hours.
2. Drain the water using a strainer.Spread this rice on a paper to dry. When it is dry grind it to fine powder.
3. Heat this powder till slight smell of the fried powder comes(about 5 to 6 mins).Stir through out the process. There is high chance of the powder getting burnt at bottom as well as over frying the rice powder will result in a disaster while making puttu.
4. Cool the powder and use it to make puttu.
Sending this to The Kerala Kitchen hosted by Vidhya