Roasted rice powder-1 cup
Coconut oil-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat water to rolling boil and add the coconut oil and salt to it.
2. Turn off the heat and pour the water to the rice flour.
3. Mix roughly with a laddle and close this with a tight lid.
4. When the dough becomes warm(can be handled by hand),knead to form a soft dough.
5. Make small lemon sized balls and keep aside. Keep the lid of the vessel closed.
6. Dust the work board with rice powder and roll the dough to thin round with the help of rolling pin.
7. Cut to perfect round shape with the help of a sharp plate/vessel.Continue for the whole dough.
8. Heat a griddle.When medium hot cook the pathiri on one side for few seconds and then flip and cook.
9. See that there are no dark spots and also it wont take much time to cook as it is thin.
10. Keep in a hot pot or serve with a spicy veg/non veg curry.
Method of making rice powder:
Soak raw rice for 5 hours in water and then drain and spread on a paper to dry.Once it becomes almost dry, grind in a mixer to fine powder.Heat a pan and fry this powder till the aroma comes.The powder should not change its color.Store in airtight jars.
1. If the dough becomes dry while the rolling process just dip ur hand in warm water and knead the dough.If dough is dry rolling it thin is not possible.
2. See that too much of water is not there in the dough during kneading.The dough should be soft but stiff to make pathiris.
3. Different rice powders use different amount of water.+/-1/4cup extra.Knead with the minimum amount and add more if needed.In that case you wont go wrong with the dough.
4. Do use warm water only
5. DO not use too much of rice powder while rolling, this makes pathiri dry.
6. While frying do dust the griddle as sometimes the flour used to dust pathiri will be there in burned form,resulting in dark powders on white pathiri.