Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are really easy to prepare. You make the dough which has lots of chocolate in it. Then you roll this on powdered sugar which gives it a snow covered look and finally when baked you get to see beautiful cracks on them revealing the chocolate..So by this you should have guessed that these cookies are for chocolate lovers mainly..but I should say that my husband being a not so big fan of chocolate too ate a few of them. That shows how addictive these are. Do try them for this holiday season...They are perfect for this time or for that matter any time..
Baking Powder-1/4 tsp
Bitter Sweet Chocolate-4 ounce
Granulated Sugar-1/4 cup
Vanilla Extract-1 tsp
Icing Sugar to roll- about 1/2 cup
1. Melt the chocolate and butter by keeping it in a heat proof bowl over a simmering pan of water.Once done remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Beat egg and sugar in another bowl until it is thick pale and fluffy.It should fall like soft ribbon once the beater is lifted.
3. Beat the vanilla into it and then add the chocolate mixture and beat till it is well mixed. Add cooled chocolate mixture and mix till its incorporated.
4. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture till it is incorporated.
5. The dough will be soft so place it in the refrigerator closed with a lid till it turns firm to form ball.
6. Preheat oven to 325 F and place the oven rack in the middle. Now take the Icing sugar/powdered sugar in a bowl, scoop a small amount of dough(about 1 inch), shape it to ball and then roll it in the sugar. See that the ball is coated well with sugar with no chocolate portion visible.
7. Place them on the parchment lined baking sheet with little gap to spread(about 2 cm) and bake for 8 to 10 mins. Do not over bake them. The sugar coating should not turn brown. The outer should be firm while taking it and the center will be soft.
8. Place them on wire rack to cool. These cookies taste awesome while hot and are great on the day it is baked. It stays good for 2 to 3 days.I don't know more as the cookies never lasted more than that.
1. The dough will be soft, so you need to refrigerate till it turns hard. You can keep the dough overnight.
2. The dough will be very firm and you need to scrape it with spoon, dont worry when you roll it turns moist.
3. The cookie is soft an fudgy like brownies, don't bake it more which will make the cookies dry.
4. Coat the dough balls completely in sugar which will result in look of beautiful snow covered cookies.
5. You can use semi sweet chocolate instead of bitter sweet ones.
6. As the cookies are kept the sugar coating changes to slight yellow.