Green gram-1 cup
Chilly powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste.
Coconut- 1/4 cup plus little more.
Onion-1/4 piece(finely cut)
Curry leaves-1 stalk.
Dry Red Chilly-2 no(cut to half)
Method of Preparation:
1. Soak the green gram for 2 to 3 hrs. Then in a vessel add green gram 2 to 3 cups of water,turmeric,chilly powder and cook.
2. Grind the coconut to smooth paste using little water and keep aside.
3. Once green gram gets cooked add salt and coconut mixture and boil it for sometime.Take from heat.
4. Heat oil in a wok,sputter mustard,dry chilly and cumin seeds. Then add onion and fry till light brown.Add curry leaves and add the cooked curry to it. Off the gas and serve with rice/roti/puttu.
1. If you have forgot to soak the gram, you can pressure cook for 4 whistles on low. The gram will be soft then.
2. The whole process can be done using pressure cooker.
3. Instead of coconut you can use coconut milk(1/4 cup).Then add milk and simmer.