Got some chakkavaratti/Jack fruit preserve from home.So tried these unni appams with it...They were soft and delicious...
Method of Preparation:
1. Melt the jaggery with little water(1/4 to1/2 cup).Let cool
2. Fry the cumin and coconut in ghee and keep aside.
3. Add the chakkavaratti to rice flour along with cooled jaggery syrup and fried coconut, cumin.
4. Mix with required amount of water such that the batter should be thick almost like idli batter or little less.
5. Heat the appam pan(kaarolu), Pour oil(as needed to deep fry) in to it.once hot, pour the batter in to it and wait till it turns golden brown.NowTurn it with a stick and cook the other side.
6. Remove it on a kitchen tissue.Continue the process.
7. Enjoy it warm or at normal temperature.These remain good for more than a week.
To make Rice flour:
1. Soak 1 cup of raw rice in water for 3 to 4 hrs. Drain and spread on a sheet of paper/cloth.
2. When it is partially dry,grind it to a not too smooth, but little grainy powder.Use this to make appams.
1. Usually rice flour is not fried to make unni appams.
2. Add jaggery as needed.
3. Use oil as needed to deep fry
Sending this to The Kerala Kitchen hosted here