Kaaya means Raw plantain in Malayalam.As a kid I have seen this growing in my grandmas backyards and I have totally enjoyed eating it in all forms..be that in curry or stir fry or snack or chips or the ultimate in ripe form..Now here is a simple preparation with this veggie...
Salt to taste
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Coconut oil-2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Dry red chilies-2 no
1. To clean the plantain: First cut the ends of plantain little bit(till the light yellow flesh shows up). Then peel the skin slightly from edges with a knife. I usually don't do this as raw plantain skin is edible. But do take care to remove any skin that is dark/black. Now cut the plantain half lengthwise and then each half again into 2 lengthwise. so total of four pieces. Now cut that to small pieces. and wash it in water with a pinch of turmeric powder.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard, curry leaves and red chilies. Let it splutter.
3. Drain and add the plantain pieces to it and give a good stir. Now pour enough water to cook it. See that the cubes are just soaked in water. Don't add too much as the result would be mushy stir fry. Cook it till its soft. when it is 3/4 done add salt to it and continue cooking till water is completely dried.
4. Serve with rice and sambar.
1. Another way of cooking it with minimum ingredients is Cook the cubed plantain with water, 1 green chili,some curry leaves. Add salt when almost done and continue cooking till water is evaporated. Then drizzle about 1 to 11/2 tsp of coconut oil and give a good stir...
2. Washing with turmeric is done to avoid the blackening of plantain while cooking. If you avoid it the end result would be a slightly black stir fry. There wont be any change in taste.
3. Do wash the plantain 2 to 3 times to remove the turmeric from it.
4.Cook covered till its soft and then open and continue cooking to evaporate water, if there.