Initial days my rava dosa was terrible..They were thick and never got the golden color.Slowly I learned to master it and now it is just perfect for our liking...I have added all the points in notes..do check it out if planning to prepare this.
Rice flour-1/2 cup
All purpose flour-1/2 cup
Onion-1/4 piece(finely chopped)
Curry leaves-3 to 4 leaves(finely chopped)
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp(finely chopped)
Green chilies-1 no(finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Ghee/Oil to drizzle.
1. Heat oil in wok and splutter mustard and set aside.
2. Mix all the ingredients including mustard and oil with water to form a thin batter.Add more water if needed. Set aside for 15 mins.
3. Heat a griddle on high till its very hot and slightly smoking.Use a ladle and drizzle the batter on to the hot tawa. See that you dont pour lot of batter in one spot.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and then drizzle ghee/oil on top of the dosas. These help to make them crispy, so use liberally. Cook for 2 to 3 mins approx. till it turns golden brown..
5. These dosas are real thin so you need not flip and cook it, if you still want to then go ahead and cook for less than a minute.
6. Serve hot with chutney/pickle/sambar.
1. I use non stick pan. You can use iron griddle too, then the time to heat the griddle should be a little longer.
2. You can either drizzle the batter on the griddle or you can pour it from the outer side of griddle to inner side.You can't spread the batter as you would with normal rice dosas.
3. Each time before making doasa see that the griddle is hot.
4. After making few dosas if the batter looks thick do add water to it to make it thin.
5. When I say thin it should be thicker than water. Not as thick as our normal dosa batter.
6. The flour tends to settle at the bottom so always mix it with a ladle before making dosas. Do this each time u make dosas.
7. If you want the dosas not so crispy, take them when it is lightly golden.
8. You can add a little more maida if the dosas are not coming proper. I do with this proportion and never did that.
9. Addition of mustard seeds + oil is not compulsory You can omit them. So is asafoetida.
10. 1/4 piece of onion means small piece, 1 to 2 tbsp.
11. Do not be reluctant to drizzle oil/ghee it adds to the taste and to make the dosas crispy.
12. To get that holes(lacy effect) the griddle should be very hot.