Water -Enough for steaming the lemons
Sesame Oil/Gingely Oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard Seed-1 tsp
Whole Dried Red Chili - 4 nos
Curry leaves-1 to 2 sprig
Salt as required
Garlic - 8 cloves
Green Chilies- 10 nos(cut to small rounds)
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder- 2 tbsp(add more if needed)
Fenugreek Powder- 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida Powder- 1/4 tsp
Vinegar- 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation :
1. Boil some water in a steamer and steam the lemons/limes for some time. Say 15 to 20 mins till it becomes soft. Remove and wipe the lemons dry. Let cool.
2. Cut the lemon into halves/four/eight pieces. According to the size you need them.
3. Add salt to these lemon pieces, mix well and keep for 10 to 15 days in a clean dry airtight glass jar in room temperature. Shake the jar once everyday.
4. Slice the garlic pods lengthwise and set it aside.Wash,dry green chilies and then cut to small pieces.
5. Heat sesame oil in pan. Add the mustard seed, when it starts spluttering, add the curry leaves and dry red chilies and saute for 30 second.
6. Add the garlic slices,green chilies into it and saute for few seconds. See that it doesn't turn brown.
7.Lower the flame. Add the red chili powder, asafoetida powder, fenugreek powder and saute for couple of seconds then turn off the heat.
8. Allow the mix to cool down and then add the lemon slices, mix well and adjust the salt.
9. Then add vinegar and combine well such that vinegar and pickle mixes well.
10. Transfer it in an airtight container and keep it in a room temperature for a week for the flavors to set and then refrigerate it for further use.
1. You can steam the lemons the previous night, wipe and keep for the water to dry. Same with the green chilies, wash and keep aside to dry.
2. You can cook the lemon till it is tender instead of steaming.
3. Adding green chilies is not compulsory. If making in large quantities adding green chilly may be a reason for reducing shelf life of pickle.
4. Add about 1/4 or less cup of water to make a gravy. Heat for some time and then turn off the heat.
5. Lower the flame while adding spices else you will burn them.
6. See the lemon/lime becomes just soft not mushy and break while steaming.
7. You ca use lemon,lime,combo of both for this pickle.