Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Ghee rice is a rich aromatic rice which is a very common recipe in malabar area of kerela. Its usually served with spicy veg/ non veg gravy.Traditionally the rice is cooked in a wide open vessel by adding hot water to it. here I have opted the easier method by doing the process in a pressure cooker.So here is the recipe for this delicious rice:
Basmathi rice-1 cup
Ghee(clarified butter)-5 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cardamom seeds-from 2
Cinnamon stick-1 one inch sticks
Method Of Preparation:
1. Wash rice and soak in water for min 30 mins.Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat about 5 tbsp ghee in pressure cooker and fry the cashews and raisins.Drain and keep aside.Then throw the spices in to it.Fry for a minute,and then add the rice and fry it for 3 to 4 mins.Add salt and mix well.
3. Add the water and close the cooker lid without putting weight and cook on high flame. when heavy pressure starts to come, reduce the flame to low and put the weight and cook for 2 to 3 mins. See that it doesn't whistle.switch off the stove before that. once the pressure goes open the cooker and shift the food to a wide vessel,to avoid sticking/ forming lumps.
4. Heat ghee in a wok and fry the onions and curry leaves in it till golden brown color.Add this along with a tbsp of fried ghee, raisins and cashews to the rice.
5. Serve warm with a side dish of your choice(something spicy), papad and raitha.