Coconut-2 cups(grated/dry grated powder)
Dry red chilies-10 nos(add more or less according to preference)
Curry leaves-3 strands
Urad dal-2 tsp
Black pepper-1 tsp
Tamarind- Small piece
Salt- 2 tsp
Method of preparation:
1. Heat a pan on low heat and fry the coconut,dry chili,ginger,curry leaves, urad dal, black pepper,shallots till coconut turns brown.
2. When done turn off heat and add asafoetida, salt and tamarind and give a stir. Set aside to cool.
3. When cooled, grind this to fine/coarse powder and store in a airtight container.
4. Serve as side for rice,dosas,idlis.
1. See that you don't burn the coconut powder instead of browning.
2. Add dry chili as needed for heat.