Toor dal-1/4 cup
Fennel Seeds-1/4 tsp
Pearl Onion-4 nos
Green chili-2 nos
Ginger-1 tsp finely chopped.
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
Salt to taste
Oil to fry.
Method of Preparation:
1. Soak chana dal and toor dal for min. 3 hours. Wash and drain the water.
2. Set aside about 2 tbsp of dal and then grind the remaining to coarse pieces along with pearl onions, chilli, ginger, fennel, curry leaves, asafoetida and salt.
3. See that the dal is just pulsed to bits and not to paste.
4. Transfer to a clean dry bowl, add the 2 tbsp of dal and check for seasoning.
5. Heat oil in a wok.Take a small round ball of dough and lightly press between the palm to flatten it.
6. Deep fry in medium low heat so that the inside gets cooked and outer covering is crispy and browned.
7. Serve hot with tea.
1. You can grind the lentils and then crush the other ingredients and mix it separately instead of grinding/pulsing together.
2. Shape them according to how you want them, If you need crispy vadas make them thin discs, else thicker ones.
3. The oil should be on medium heat, if too hot they will turn dark and wont be cooked inside.