Warm Water-1/2 cup(about 110F)
Active Dry Yeast-11/4 tsp(Instant Yeast-1 tsp)
All-purpose flour-11/2 cups
Lemon Zest-1 tsp
Unsalted Butter-40gms(cold and cut to small pieces)
Sugar-1/3 cup(for rolling the cookies)
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix the flour and salt for couple of times. Add butter pieces and mix until the flour- butter mixture looks powdery.Add lemon zest to this and mix.
3. Add yeast mixture and mix till everything comes together as a ball.Do not over process/knead.
4. Place the dough in a oiled bowl,see that the dough is well coated in oil.Cover the bowl, and let the dough rise quite a bit.
5. The dough looks puffy after an hour or so. When you pinch off a bit from top you can see the interior looks like honeycomb.
6. Press down the dough and deflate it, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate it for atleast an hour or up to 24 hours.
7. When ready to bake cookies, Lightly roll the dough into a 6" square. Cut the dough into four strips of equal width using a pizza cutter.
8. Cut each strip to 6 equal pieces, by cutting across, making a total of 24 pieces.
9. Roll each piece into a pencil thick rope about 5" long. Sprinkle little sugar on surface and roll rope on it so sugar crusts the dough uniformly.
10. Form rope into a loop crossing it over before the ends.
11. Place them on parchment lined baking sheets, leaving 11/2" between them. Leave them for about 20 minutes or so till they rise/puff slightly.
12. Bake them at 325F for about 25 minutes, till they are nice golden brown.
13. Cool cookies completely on rack. Store them in air tight containers at room temperature. Makes 24 biscuits.
1. Dry yeast can be replaced with 1 tsp instant yeast.
2. To make chocolate torcettini, replace 2 tbsp all purpose flour with 2 tbsp cocoa powder and lemon zest by orange zest. You can add 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder to the flour.
3. Do not knead the dough too much.
4. While making torcettini cutting the dough to 24 pieces is not really needed. Its to get 24 equal shaped dough bits.