Mango is a fav fruit of many...I too am in that group...like them in any form..:) When I was a kid...dad would bring nice green mangoes that would be extremely sour....me and my sis would cut them to small cubes, mix with salt and bit of chilly powder,drizzle some coconut oil mix and finish off the whole bowl...Mom would be scolding us from one side.."you gals will get stomach ache and vomiting"...we will be acting as deaf to that...anyways we give two to three small pieces to dad as he is the one who brought us that and he is the one who is going to get scoldings from mom...Those golden days are all gone...now its just a sweet memory....which costs me some lonely smiles and sometimes which turns to huge laughter...hmmm if you think its true right ' Todays actions are tomorrows memories-some sweet...and some bitter...'.
Ok lets move on to the recipe...This is something that I can eat just like that.....
Raw mango-1 no(big)
Garlic-6 cloves(cut to bits)
Red chilli powder-1 tbsp
Asafoetida/ Hing-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek powder-1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Dry red chillies-2 no(break to halves)
Curry leaves-4 to 5 leaves
Sesame oil-1 tbsp
Method Of Preparation:
1. Wash the mango and wipe it with a dry cloth.
2. Cut it to small pieces and mix it with garlic, chilli powder, salt and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok and add mustard, curry leaves and dry red chillies. Once its done add asafoetida and fenugreek powder and turn off the heat and mix well.See that you do this process on low flame,else it gets burnt easily.
4.Once the oil mixture cools add that to the mango mixture and mix well.Check for salt.
5. keep in an air tight bottle and refrigerate after a day.
1. See that there is no water in anything that you use,like cutting plate, bowls, curry leaves etc, else the pickle gets spoiled fast.
2. While using it see that you dont use spoons that is wet.
3. Garlic can be avoided if you dont like it. Either way it tastes good.
4. Add chilly powder according to your spice level.
5. If you mango is not sour you can add very little of vinegar to the pickle.I dont use this unless really neaded.