Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mango Pickle

Mango is a fav fruit of many...I too am in that group...like them in any form..:) When I was a kid...dad would bring nice green mangoes that would be extremely sour....me and my sis would cut them to small cubes, mix with salt and bit of chilly powder,drizzle some coconut oil mix and finish off the whole bowl...Mom would be scolding us from one side.."you gals will get stomach ache and vomiting"...we will be acting as deaf to that...anyways we give two to three small pieces to dad as he is the one who brought us that and he is the one who is going to get scoldings from mom...Those golden days are all gone...now its just a sweet memory....which costs me some lonely smiles and sometimes which turns to huge laughter...hmmm if you think its true right ' Todays actions are tomorrows memories-some sweet...and some bitter...'.
Ok lets move on to the recipe...This is something that I can eat just like that.....

Raw mango-1 no(big)
Garlic-6 cloves(cut to bits)
Red chilli powder-1 tbsp
Asafoetida/ Hing-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek powder-1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard-1 tsp
Dry red chillies-2 no(break to halves)
Curry leaves-4 to 5 leaves
Sesame oil-1 tbsp

Method Of Preparation:
1. Wash the mango and wipe it with a dry cloth.
2. Cut it to small pieces and mix it with garlic, chilli powder, salt and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok and add mustard, curry leaves and dry red chillies. Once its done add asafoetida and fenugreek powder and turn off the heat and mix well.See that you do this process on low flame,else it gets burnt easily.
4.Once the oil mixture cools add that to the mango mixture and mix well.Check for salt.
5. keep in an air tight bottle and refrigerate after a day.



Notes:
1. See that there is no water in anything that you use,like cutting plate, bowls, curry leaves etc, else the pickle gets spoiled fast.
2. While using it see that you dont use spoons that is wet.
3. Garlic can be avoided if you dont like it. Either way it tastes good.
4. Add chilly powder according to your spice level.
5. If you mango is not sour you can add very little of vinegar to the pickle.I dont use this unless really neaded.

43 comments:

  1. Pickle looks amazing! I could eat that just with a spoon! :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mango pickle is my favourite and love to have with all types of dish. Looks yummy, spicy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the photo, it's so tempting, so does this pickle....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy.I can finish a whole plate of rice with just this pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm yum... Would doesn't like mango pickle... Looks so tangy and tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love this one and your are tempting me like hell ....pickle looks just so fab

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,tangy and tasty pickle, love to have this with curd rice. Actually, I can have this pickle with anything. Beautiful write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dats my fav pickle and so easy to prepare ----but only if someone cut the mangoes for you....love it with anythg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaha..adipoli manga achar!! Evide nalla manga kittilla, ellenkil njana ethu eppozhum undakkiyene..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg reshmi,my fav pickle...urs luks so tempting,need curd rice now to taste this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Reshmi, I was thinking of making this pickle for so long. Thanks for the post dear. Each and everyone will be having some or the other childhood memories especially with mangoes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fingerlicking good mango pickle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good when memory makes us smile. Your pickles are almost as delightful as your story. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a big fan of mango pickle it is very yummy .....
    www.rajafood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool, love this pickle, the pictures are so tempting..Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adding garlic in mango pickle sounds flavourful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mouthwatering pickle..all time fav

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love love love Mango pickles. Mom made a jar of this two weeks ago and it was done in 5 days. Your recipe and pic look sooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My all time fav....perfect with hot rice...innale ivideyum undakkiyathe ulloooooo..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Drooling here!! I feel like having it all and then licking my fingers!!! so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Drool worthy pickle..oru nalla pickle undakkan padicha pani pathinettum nokuva..this sounds great recipe..bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yummy...and spicy....mouth watering...

    ReplyDelete
  23. droolworthy and finger licking mango pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delicious to the core. The tangy mango with its red colored dressing is making me drool for it :)

    Addition of garlic to it is new to me. Would love to try :)

    Nithya
    www.4thsensecooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Reminds me of my childhood too.
    Raw or ripe, it doesn't matter. Beautiful clicks . Omy is 2 years and 1 mnth now.:D

    ReplyDelete
  26. NIce mango pickle !! looks very tempting !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Roti Pachadi/Chutney

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fresh Mango pickle...Feeling so nastalgic. Looks tempting....Hmmm..yummy..

    Cheers,
    Uma
    http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for visiting.....

    Mango pickle is my fav, but i dont know how to make it....thanks for ur recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks nice and spicy, never added garlic to it. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mango pickle is my favorite, ever! But my kids and hubby are not as mango crazy as me... they prefer garlic. Reshmi pics nannavunnudutto, getting better with each post. I have a lil suggestion, why don't you size up the photos...? Then we get to drool more..:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Finger licking good, made my mouth water! This looks soooo good, very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. can I come to ur home...my mouth is absolutely watering..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  33. pickle looks so tempting n loved your recipe...really drooling over here :) so spicy n tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  34. wonderful pickle, my fav, i too make similar to this..

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW!!! This is absolutely tempting & yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love mango pickle ! its one of these spicy delicacies i have to control myself from eating often ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to vist my small world of cooking. Your comments are my inspiration. Criticism and suggestions are always welcome. Happy cooking!

ShareThisFinal

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...