A simple snack recipe that can be changed as you wish....There is no such rules here...You put in anything...mix and eat..Chivda is a snack made of pori(puffed rice), Aval(beaten rice) or even you can use Rice crispies...Any nuts can be used.If you need a hot version increase the spices... you want it garlicky add crushed garlic fried lightly in oil..These stay fresh for long when kept in air tight box...and makes a perfect snack for tea...and is very easy to put together...Eat them as is or garnish with little chopped onions and a squeeze of lemon juice...Just perfect...
Rice krispies -4 cups
Roasted gram(Pottu kadala(i))-1/4 cup
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
Red chili powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chili-1 no(halved)
Salt to taste
Method of preparation:
1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a wok. Fry the peanuts till the color of skin changes slightly. It should be crunchy too. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat remaining oil and fry the cashews, raisins and set aside. Then fry the roasted gram and keep aside.
3. Now fry the curry leaves and the dry chili in remaining oil.Add more oil if needed.
4. Now add the red chili powder, turmeric powder and rice krispes in the warm wok(heat turned off) and give it a good stir(there should not be oil in it,oil traces are fine).
5. Add this and all other drained ingredients into a medium sized vessel.
6. Give it a good stir and then add the sugar and salt to it.
7. Put a lid to the vessel and give it a good shake, so that all the ingredients mix well. Cool and store in air tight vessel.
8. Serve as a snack with tea/juice.