Before running to prepare this here is some things on how it is... This recipe is purely a mixture(all things I could grab and feel at that moment) of this and that...First of all dont think about the Indian cutlets with loads of spices...Here it is minimum...No cooked softened veggies...You get a crunch from the half cooked stuffs here...to all this adds the nutty texture of quinoa...Potatoes give it a mild smooth feel and the mild heat by the green chilies...Hmmm...No not crispy as deep fried with a coating but still has a crispy feel to it... Altogether we enjoyed everything about it...
Potato-1 (medium sized,boiled)
Coriander seeds-1 tbsp(crushed)
Pepper corns-1 tbsp(crushed)
Fennel seeds-1/4 tsp(fry in oil)
Green chili-1(chopped finely)
Lemon juice-1 to 2 tsp
salt to taste
Oil for shallow frying.
Method of Preparation:
1. Cook quinoa with little salt and once done drain the water and set aside.Fluff the grains and if you feel it sticks keep in the refrigerator for some time. It works well.
2. Boil the potato, mash it and set aside.
3. Coarsely crush the coriander,pepper corns and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a wok and add the fennel seeds, mix for few seconds and then add the onion to it.
5. Cook for few minutes till translucent then add carrots, beets and green chilies and cook covered for few minutes till it becomes slightly soft.then open and cook it till it becomes dry.Turn off the heat.
6. When mixture turns warm add it to the mashed potatoes, crushed spices, salt and lemon juice ..Mix well with hands/spoon.
7. Heat a tsp of oil on a griddle.Take a lemon sized ball of the mix and flatten it slightly on ur palm.
8. Place it on the hot oil and cook it till that side turns light brown. Turn it with the help of two spoons and cook other side too. Add more oil(1 tsp at a time) if required.Cook 2 or 3 patties at a time according to the griddle size.
9. Serve warm.
1. Don't cook the veggies for long time. The veggies used here can be eaten raw too..so just cook for few minutes.
2. As quinoa is added it has a nutty texture and taste.
3. While shallow frying be careful while turning it.Need to be really soft while doing it.
4. There should not be water in it. If the dough looks too soft add little bread crumbs to thicken it.
5.Cooking Quinoa: Cook quinoa with required water and pinch of salt for 15 min or until you see a thread like stuff from the quinoa. Then drain the remaining water and keep aside to cool. Or you can cook quinoa(the above given amount) with just 1 cup water till the water is completely evaporated and quinoa is cooked.
6. This can be eaten with a sprinkle of chat masala and chopped onions...Perfect Indian style and it taste wonderful that way.