Katti kalan is another recipe that is seen in kerala sadya. It is mainly a dish made of yogurt and coconut with yam,taro, plantain as a veg in it.The water content in this recipe is very less,so the name katti kalan/kurukku kalan.So here is the recipe for that.
Elephant Yam/Chenna-1 cup (cubed/ I used the frozen yam)
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Grated coconut-1 and 1/2 cup
Green chilly-4 no
Black Pepper powder-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves-1 stalk
Coconut Oil-2 tsp
Dry Red Chilly-2 to 3 no
Method Of Preparation:
1. Cook yam with turmeric powder,pepper powder,salt and water till medium soft. While cooking add nearly 3/4 cup of water.Once it gets cooked evaporate the remaining water making the dish thick.
2. Then add the yogurt and boil see that there is no much water in the veg.
3. Grind the coconut,cumin,green chilly with 2 tbsp of curd/yogurt to fine paste.Add this to the yam and mix well, simmer for a minute and turn off the heat
4. Heat oil in a wok splutter mustard,fenugreek,dry red chilly and curry leaves.Pour this over the gravy. Mix well and serve.
1. You can use plantain,taro or a combination of these veggies.
2. The yogurt should be sour.