Cabbage thoran is a side dish very common in kerala.Almost for all special occasions cabbage thoran will be visible as a part of the sadhya....
1. Cabbage- 2 cup( finely shredded)
2. Coconut shred/grated coconut- 1/4 cup
3. Green chillies- 1 (cut to small pieces)
4. Urud dal- 1 tsp
5. Mustard seeds-1 tsp
6. Coconut oil- 2 tsp
7. Salt, to taste
8. Curry leaves few.
Method of Preparation:
1. In a wok, add oil, splutter mustard , add urud dal,fry to golden color.
2. Add the cabbage and salt, cover and cook with the lid, do not add water.stir in between.
3. In a bowl, mix together the shredded coconut,crushed curry leaves with green chillies and keep aside.
4. Once cabbage gets cooked add the coconut mixture and mix for 2 min. Take from heat.
5. Serve warm with rice.
1. You can add turmeric powder-1/4 tsp if you want.
2. Green chillies can be crushed to get a spicy thoran/ stir fry.
3. Using fresh coconut is highly recommended, else if using dessicated coconut while mixing just add few drops of water/coconut milk and mix,as they would be dry.