I had made semiya as well as parippu payasam....but when I was drinking the last sip of semiya payasam I remembered that I had not taken the clicks....as always...and to my luck I had one small glass of this thick yummy payasam....which I could manage to click at night to tempt you people...:)
Jaggery - 1.5 cup(cut to small piece/5 to 6 blocks/ to taste)
Coconut milk - 2 nd3/4cup(I used the ready made one)
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Dry ginger powder/Chukku podi - 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts - 10(split)
Coconut bits -3 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp(use more if needed)
Method Of Preparation:
1.Roast the splitted moong dal in a wok without changing its colour. After cooling it well, wash it and pressure cook it with 3 to 3 nd1/2 cups of water approx.(water shud be only to cook dal).2 to 3 whistles approx.(The dal should cook well,kind of little mushy). Melt jaggery with little water and strain it for any impurities. Keep it aside. Roast the cumin seeds and powder it.
2.When pressure goes open the cooker and add the jaggery.Mix well so that it doesn't get burned at the bottom.Boil on medium flame for some time.
3. Then add 2 cups of coconut milk and mix well and boil it on low flame.Then add the remaining milk with roasted cumin powder and dry ginger powder(chukku podi).Do not boil it.Mix it and remove from heat.
4. Fry the splitted cashews,coconut pieces in ghee till golden brown.Pour it over the payasam.
1. Let the dal cool completely before washing in cold water else dal turns hard and later when payasam cools it will remain hard.
2. Don't make the dal brown when frying it too.
3. Once jaggery is added dal wont get cooked, so see that the dal is little mushy before this process itself.
4. If you are using home made coconut milk then, add the thin coconut milk and boil it well till it becomes slightly thick . Then add the semi thick coconut milk and again boil it in low flame. Finally add the thick milk along with roasted cumin powder and dry ginger powder. Do not boil after adding the thick milk. Mix it and remove it from heat.
5. You can add cardamom powder also.