Monday, April 25, 2011

Parippu Pradaman/split moong dal payasam

I had made semiya as well as parippu payasam....but when I was drinking the last sip of semiya payasam I remembered that I had not taken the clicks....as always...and to my luck I had one small glass of this thick yummy payasam....which I could manage to click at night to tempt you people...:)




Cherupayar parippu/skinless split green gram  - 3/4 cup  
Jaggery - 1.5 cup(cut to small piece/5 to 6 blocks/ to taste)
Coconut milk - 2 nd3/4cup(I used the ready made one)
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Dry ginger powder/Chukku podi  - 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts - 10(split)
Coconut bits -3 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp(use more if needed)

Method Of Preparation:
1.Roast the splitted moong dal in a wok without changing its colour. After cooling it well, wash it and pressure cook it with 3 to 3 nd1/2 cups of water approx.(water shud be only to cook dal).2 to 3 whistles approx.(The dal should cook well,kind of little mushy). Melt jaggery with little water and strain it for any impurities. Keep it aside. Roast the cumin seeds and powder it.
2.When pressure goes open the cooker and add the jaggery.Mix well so that it doesn't get burned at the bottom.Boil on medium flame for some time.
3. Then add 2 cups of coconut milk and mix well and boil it on low flame.Then add the remaining milk with roasted cumin powder and dry ginger powder(chukku podi).Do not boil it.Mix it and remove from heat.
4. Fry the splitted cashews,coconut pieces in ghee  till golden brown.Pour it over the payasam.




Tips:
1. Let the dal  cool completely before washing in cold water else dal turns hard and later when payasam cools it will remain hard.
2. Don't make the dal brown when frying it too.
3. Once jaggery is added dal wont get cooked, so see that the dal is little mushy before this process itself.
4. If you are using home made coconut milk then, add the thin coconut milk and boil it well till it becomes slightly thick . Then add the semi thick coconut milk and again boil it in low flame. Finally add the thick milk along with roasted cumin powder and dry  ginger powder. Do not boil after adding the thick milk. Mix it and remove it from heat.
5. You can add cardamom powder also.

36 comments:

  1. Good that you saved it for a click....If I were you, nothing could have left behind.....such a tempting payasam. Slurppp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...that looks delicious..yummm

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds a new dish to me..looks so YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. payasam kazhikkumbol blog marakkunnathu swabhaavikam :) :)

    parippu payasam nannayittunde tto..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Payasam look so well made.I too made Parippu payasam for Vishu.You have explained it so well too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the payasam. I make it the same way as you do but addition of cumin is something very new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sweets..Payasam luks tempting... :)like to have.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mum makes them during pooja time we love it....ur version is similar nam nam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parippu pradaman adipoli. Ente favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one payasam i can't say no to...ur payasam looks soooooo delish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so delicious and yummy payasam !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Fantastic payasam n my all time fav......

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow the payasam looks so creamy and delicious...absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love parippu pradaman anytime...pradaman looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious payasam. I usually add only coconut bits to it. I have seen jeeraka podi added in cookery shows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this payasam very much, yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks creamy & delicious!!! This is my fav payasam :) Its a speciality for us & prepared on special fly functions...
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy payasam.love the way u did this with the addition of coconut milk .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nobody can resist this! It is yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never had this but it sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow payasam looks delicious and healthy too...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks super delicious.Literally drooling over it..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nalla yummy payasam..Kure naal aayi ethu undakkittu..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delicious payasam very yummy ...
    www.rajafood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pongal or Mungdal Pradaman luks truly tempting.Luv it Yummy!.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to vist my small world of cooking. Your comments are my inspiration. Criticism and suggestions are always welcome. Happy cooking!

ShareThisFinal

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...