Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Olan/ Red cowpea beans curry.
Red cowpea beans(mampayar)-1 cup
Green chillies-2 (slit lengthwise)
Salt to taste
Coconut milk-1/2 cup(I used readymade one)
Coconut Oil-2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Method Of Preparation:
1. Pressure cook the mampayar with sufficient water till it becomes soft.Cook the ash gourd,green chilly with little water till it becomes soft. Add this to the red beans and mix softly.Add salt.
2. Boil this together for a minute and then add the coconut milk and mix well. simmer it for few minutes.(Do not boil after adding coconut milk).
3. Turn off the heat and add coconut oil and curry leaves.Mix well and serve.
1. If using home made coconut milk, cook the vegetable in thin milk along with little water.Once it gets cooked,add the beans ,salt and boil and then add the thick milk and simmer for some time.
2. You can use ash gourd,pumpkin,or both.
3. While using water to cook add only how much is needed, too much water spoils the taste.
4. The colour of olan is very light brown/white mixed brown...I took the pics under kitchen light so it looks dark. If you are cooking it using thin and thick milk you will get a creamish slight brown coloured olan as you are cooking using thin milk not the water after boiling red beans..