Puzhukku is an authentic dish of Kerala/south.It is a mixture of various roots like taro,tapioca...It can either be eaten alone or as a dish for flatbread like chappati.It is very nutritious and personally I just love it.
Tapioca-1 medium sized(cut to medium sized pieces)
Green gram-1/4 cup(soaked overnight and cooked/pressure cook it till soft)
Raw Plantain-1 Cut to medium sized pieces.
Taro-2 no Cut roughly
Green chillies- 3 to 4(according to your spice level.Don't add too much)
Shredded Coconut- 2 cups(grated)
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4tsp+1/4tsp to cook tapioca.
Garlic pods- 3 to 4
Curry leaves- 2 strands
Shallots- 6-7(cut finely)
Oil- 4 tsp
Method Of Preparation:
1. Cook tapioca in hot boiling water with turmeric powder.
2. When cooked, drain the water from the tapioca and keep aside.
3.Cook the taro,plantain,turmeric powder,salt and green gram together till they become tender.Add the water that is just needed to cook them, not too much.If cooking like this see that the green gram was soaked earlier.
4. Grind together green chillies, coconut, cumin seeds and garlic pods.
5.Once everything is cooked, add oil in a heavy bottom pan sputter Splutter some mustard seeds, dry red chillies ,shallots and transfer the cooked stuff(tapioca,gram,plantain,taro) into it.
6. Add the ground mixture into it. Stir and mix well.And finally add curry leaves.
7. Serve warm.
1. When cooking don't add too much of water.Add water just to cook it.
2. While grinding add very little water.Grind it to medium paste.Not too smooth.
3. To accelerate the cooking,cook tapioca in pressure cooker,wait for two whistle on high flame and then drain water.(Don't use the cooked water of tapioca).Same way cook the green gram and other things for one whistle .Then continue the other process.
4. The seasoning part can be omitted.In that case add 2 tsp of coconut oil and curry leaves and mix well.
5. Its not at all compulsory that you need to have all the vegetables and gram.You can make tapioca puzhukku also in the same way.