Shallots-1 cup(skin removed and cut to half)
Pigeon pea/toor dal-1/2 cup
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Sambar powder-2 tsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Curry leaves 2 stalk
Salt to taste.
Coconut oil-2 tsp
Mustard -1 tsp
Dry red chillies-2 no
Coriander leaves few
Method Of Preparation:
1. Cook the toor dal with water,turmeric powder and salt.Once it becomes medium soft add shallots,green chilly,sambar powder,chilly powder and cook till shallots become tender.
2. Roast the coconut without oil along with few curry leaves and grind to paste.See that it doesn't turn too brown.
3. Once the shallots become tender add the coconut and boil once.Add coriander and curry leaves. Take from heat.
4. In a wok heat coconut oil,add mustard and red chilly,let it sputter and mix that to the sambar.
5. Its a great combination for dosas ,idllis and steamed rice.
1. Instead of using grated coconut you can use coconut milk.Then leave step 2.
2. Don't cook shallots with dal as they have different cooking time.
3. Don't overcook shallots as you will lose the taste.