1. Black Gram/Uzhunnu/Urud dal- 1 cup
2. Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
3. Green chillies- 3-4 (chopped)
4. Crushed pepper- 1/2 tsp
5. Pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
6. Salt to taste
7. Curry leaves few (chopped)
8. Onion- 1/2 (chopped to small pieces)
9. Ginger-1 tsp(minced)
10. Oil to fry
Method Of Preparation:
1. Soak urud dal for atleast 7 hours with enough water.Grind it till it forms smooth paste and starts kind of frothing. Do not add much water while grinding.Make it to a very thick paste. The consistency of paste should be such that you can shape them in hand without the batter dripping of your hand.After grinding pour it into a vessel and mix well so that the vada becomes soft inside and crispy outside.
2. Now add the rest of the ingredients other than oil and mix well.
3. Apply some water on both the hands , take about 2 tbsp full of dough into your hand and pat well to a little thick round and make a small hole in the middle. you can dip your hand in little water pat on the surface to shape it if necessary.
4. Heat oil in a wok and slide the mixture from hand to hot oil. Keep the flame medium, else the outer part gets cooked fast and the batter remains as it is in the inside.
5. Deep fry them in hot oil till its golden brown in color.
6. Serve hot with Coconut chutney.