Pumpkin-1/2 cup(cut to medium sized pieces)
Salt to taste
Water to cook
Cumin seeds/jeera-1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Grated coconut-1 tsp
Curry leaves-1 stalk
Method Of Preparation:
- Cook black beans/mampayar in a pressure cooker/vessel with medium water till tender.
- Once black beans get semi cooked add chopped pumpkins and water(if needed), along with salt,chilly powder and turmeric, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a grinder/ food processor, grind grated coconut, and cumin seeds into paste.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, add the coconut paste to it and bring to boil. Take from heat.
- In a wok, heat oil over medium-high flame and add mustard and curry leaves. When mustard sputters, add grated coconut and fry until it turns brown (See that it doesn't burn).
- Add this to the gravy and mix well.
- Serve with steamed rice.
1. If in a hurry,use canned coconut milk.In that case add the cumin with the beans and pumpkin while boiling.Also see that you don't use too much of water while boiling.
Note: While using coconut milk you will have to compromise with taste(a bit).